Pourquoi parler français ?
Here are some great reasons to speak French.
- French is a major international language. It is spoken by over 100 million people around the world, and is the first or second language in about 50 countries.
- French is a diplomatic language. French is one of the five languages of the United Nations, and one of the two main languages of the European Union.
- France is a technologically advanced country. French inventors have contributed significantly to the advancement of science. Today, France is a leader in areas such as aero-space technology, high speed transportation, automotive design, and medical research.
- France is a leader in the world of art and literature. Paris has been an important cultural center over the past 400 years, which attracts artists and writers from around the world. France has won more Nobel Prizes in literature than any other country.
- France is a major tourist destination. Millions of people visit France every year, and speaking French makes it much more meaningful and enjoyable experience.
- Knowing French will enrich your English. Over one third of all English words are derived from French. As you study French, your English vocabulary will increase.
- Knowing French will help with university studies. University admissions officers look for candidates who have foreign language skills. The longer students study a foreign language, the higher their mathematics and verbal SAT scores.
- Knowing French will be useful for your career. Many jobs require the knowledge of another language. France and Canada are major trading partners of the United States. About 1,000 French companies have subsidiaries in the US.